Jul 27, 2010

Swiss Roll Ice Cream Fudge Bombe

Share
Layers of homemade vanilla and chocolate ice creams and a fudge sauce are hidden underneath a dome of creme-filled chocolate cake rolls.

I knew when I signed up to participate in the Daring Baker's Challenges that this month, my inaugural month with the website, would be a busy one. My Summer school session just wrapped and plunged me into two straight weeks of rather dense studying for my law finals. During finals, the right side of my couch becomes my living quarters as I pour through notes, outlines and books for each class. Eating becomes merely a survival tactic and thus, the lack of posts this month.

Additionally, the moment finals ended last week, I had to begin packing for a move. I've lived on my own since starting law school in February '09, but have decided to move in with some good friends. Still, it's amazing how much crap one guy has been able to fit in a one-bedroom apartment. Moving certainly makes you take stock of your belongings, and I've learned I've got tons, but none of it is worth anything.

I could have sat this one out, but wasn't about to use one of my free passes on my first round out of the gate. So, amidst packing boxes, I made the Swiss Roll Ice Cream Fudge Bombe - as I only know to call it. I'm usually the impatient sort who doesn't cook things which spread the preparation across multiple days. I usually don't think that far ahead and find myself cooking something when I crave it. Though the multi-phase nature of this dessert was much friendlier to my schedule. This is one rich dessert, and way easy to make, despite the seemingly foreboding components.
  
I was particularly nervous about making my own ice cream. I've never owned an ice cream maker, and I've only had homemade ice cream once or twice. It was poorly made. So, I thought for sure, I was going to mess this up. Truth is, this was so easy a kid could do it, with minimal supervision. If you can mix things in a bowl, you can make homemade ice cream - without an ice cream maker. After you put it in the freezer, just be sure you stir it every 2 hours or so until it is fully frozen. I suppose that is the benefit of an ice cream maker, it constantly churns the ice cream while it freezes. Still, the ice cream recipes were simple and tasty. I'll look forward to experimenting with different flavors in the coming, HOT, Texas months. I'm also anticipating homemade versions of my favorite fall flavors - pumpkin and cinnamon anyone?

As a kid, I loved the Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls. My mom usually had a box of them - or the oatmeal cookies - in the house for our lunches and I was the geeky kid who ate it in phases, enjoying every bite. I'd first eat the chocolate ganache enveloping the cake. Then, I'd unroll it, lick the creme filling off before eating the cake itself. I ate each cake carefully, as if it might explode at any given moment. Actually, I started a trend among my friends who, prior to seeing the way I ate the Little Debbie's, would finish their cakes in two bites. With such a fond childhood memory, you'd think I would have made the connection sooner, but alas, it wasn't until I was rolling the cake in the sugar-coated towel that I realized I was making my own large, homemade Little Debbie Swiss Cake Roll. I suppose my mind had been ravaged by finals and the moving process. The parchment paper did not peel away quite as easily as it seemed to in the pictures Sunita provided, but, I managed to get it all off without tearing apart the cake. I still had a solid rectangle of cake to roll. I'm not sure if this was the result of baking too long or perhaps a measurement in the cake was off, but it was only a minor glitch.

While rolling the cake, I half expected it to just crumble beneath my fingers. I don't know, the doomsdayer in me felt that I had successfully made the ice cream, so I was bound to get something wrong and this seemed like the next logical thing. But, the cake rolled nicely both when using the towel and again when I actually frosted it with the creme filling.

As of this writing, I have not tasted the assembled dessert. I am bringing it to my family in Dallas in a few days. However, I can't imagine that this classic chocolate-vanilla combo is anything but delicious.

Note: I halved the entire recipe - making one cake (10 rolled slices), one cup of each ice cream, and about 1/2 cup of fudge sauce.

Note 2: My apologies for the one measly photo included in this post. At the time this was taken all my kitchenware was packed in boxes, and foil was what was sitting around. I also chose not to take photos of the steps to save myself some time. I am likely going to invest in a camera this next month and promise more attractive photos in the future.

[Due to the hectic schedule outlined above, I've not taken the time to include the recipes for this dessert. Instead, I've attached the link you can visit to get the skinny on making this Bombe. See Swiss Swirl Ice Cream Cake]


Swiss Roll Ice Cream Fudge Bombe

The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.

1 comment:

  1. I had to skip my first DB challenge because of a lack of time, but I made July's challenge. Your cake looks great, and I bet it was definitely more challenging for you to make than it was for me because I own an ice cream maker. :)

    ReplyDelete