Jun 8, 2010

Someone hand me a spoon, I'm ready to dig in.

Share
For someone who loves food as much as I do, it is surprising that I've remained rather unaware of the blog universe devoted to the subject. What started as a search for some dessert recipes a few weeks ago has become a full-blown venture into a world of culinary ecstasy - all made by the hands of everyday people. Clicking from blog to blog, I've found myself lost in a labyrinth of inspiring recipes, interesting writers, and stunning photography. I always knew there was a need for such photographs in a cook book, but who knew that food photography could be such a personal art?

I grew up in a house divided when it came to food. I had an adventurous palette, but the finicky tastes of my younger siblings often dictated the menus. Regardless, my mom was and still is an excellent cook; she just didn't get to show it off too often. My mom recognized early on that she had a fellow food-enthusiast in me and fostered my curiosity. As a young boy, I'd help with the simple cooking tasks. As I got older, I graduated from mixing banana bread batter to being put in charge of meals and dishes for holidays and special occasions. I took the charge seriously and always set out to find something new that would impress those who tried it - and possibly convert a few of those finicky eaters.

At 25, I'm still a "foodie," but being a law student with limited time and money has dictated that I restrain my culinary efforts. I still find opportunities to develop my cooking abilities by trying recipes out on friends and family, but this immersion in food blogs these past few weeks has left me feeling futile. So many entrees, so many desserts, so much that I want to try it frustrates me. I think I found a solution.

I came across a blog today that immediately fascinated me; one that has actually gotten me a little anxious and is the reason I am starting this blog. Earlier this evening, I became a member of The Daring Kitchen, a  community of foodies who participate in monthly cooking challenges proposed by different members and then each reveal their successes (or failures) all on the same day at the end of the month through their own personal blogs. I marveled at the idea and realized that this is what I needed. The endless culinary possibilities to be found online were overwhelming, but this instantly clicked as a fun and unique way to expand my horizons on the food front.

Due to community rules, I will have to wait until July 1st before I get my first challenge. I wait in suspense. In the meantime, the direction of this blog is yet to be decided. But, I'd like to add my passion to the internet food community. Starting this off will be a little makeshift. I don't have a flood of recipes ripe for the posting, plus I lack a quality camera. For the sake of the Daring Baker Challenges, cell phone photos will have to do for now.

I look forward to seeing this develop and I am excited to be a part of the world wide food community. I'll be putting my tastes on trial and sharing it here. Someone hand me a spoon, I'm ready to dig in.

Charlie C.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome and hello to the Daring Kitchen, I hope that you can satisfy your "foodie" cravings with our community. See you on the 1st of July. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    And wonderful that you started a food blog it is a fabulous experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and cheers back to you Audax. It's so great that Daring Bakers/Cooks are all over the world. I've never been to Sydney, but its top on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Daring Kitchen! I enjoyed your introduction on the DB Forum and I look forward to seeing your blog posts in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always great to see people get so excited about food! Can't wait to read more of your posts :-)

    ReplyDelete