Jun 9, 2010

Killing a sweet tooth without killing the waistline.

Share
My classes wrapped for the day and I headed to the store on impulse to get a few things I've been needing. I've always heard going to the store on an empty stomach is never a good idea. Three classes back to back had left me a little hungry. Luckily, I was limited to the $20.00 I had in my wallet. It still didn't stop me from getting sudden cravings as I passed certain areas of the store...namely the bakery.

I had gotten everything I needed, and decided I would pick up something sweet to tie me over for the week. I have a love/hate relationship with desserts. I am a sugar addict. Nothing makes me happier than something that oozes chocolate. But for health reasons, I heavily restrict what I allow myself to eat. So, I've learned to be creative in satisfying my sweet tooth. When I do allow myself something fun, I still try to keep it under control. Thus, I usually stay away from the ice cream aisle. A serving of ice cream is certainly not the worst dessert you can find, but I have control issues when it comes to desserts; meaning, once I start, I can't stop. So, you see, a pint of Ben & Jerry's may claim it has four servings, but to me, it really only has one. Knowing this, I rarely tread into ice cream territory. I'd yet to see a truly low fat/sugar option. But, maybe I hadn't been looking hard enough.

As I scanned the freezers, I noticed Blue Bell had a line of No Sugar Added Ice Creams. Certain the nutritional facts would still be disappointing, I checked it out. All in all, considering that it is ice cream we're talking about, it seemed like a great option. The fat and sugar content had been reduced, and the calorie content was quite reasonable sitting at 110 calories for 1/2 a cup. I bought the Strawberries 'n Cream flavor. To go along with it, I bought the Cool Whip Chocolate Dip. It wasn't long after I got home that I served myself a bowl of the ice cream topped with a few scoops of the dip.


It was fantastic. The ice cream may have sacrificed sugar content, but it didn't skimp on flavor. Nor did it have that faux sugar flavor that so many artificially sweetened/sugar substitute desserts have. Made with skim and whole milk, the ice cream remained creamy at the expense of less fat. Most other "lowfat" frozen items have a shaved ice quality that just doesn't do the trick when you want something creamy. The addition of the already low-cal and low sugar cool whip made for quite an enjoyable dessert. The chocolate Cool Whip was the perfect compliment to the strawberry ice cream. I'd go as far to say that it could stand on its own. All in all, a very satisfactory and quick dessert for only 130 calories, 3 grams of fat and about 5 grams of sugar.


The ice cream carton is tagged with the word "NEW," but I'm not sure how new this product line is. Still, a low-fat/cal/sugar ice cream that is still worthy of being called ice cream was a stellar find. If you need to take care of a sweet tooth, but don't want to hurt the waistline, this seems about as good as you can get.

Images courtesy of Blue Bell and Kraft Foods.

0 comments:

Post a Comment