Aug 9, 2010

Step one towards becoming a cliche foodie

Share
[Note - This post was written at about 4 a.m. last night as a solution to an isolated incidence of insomnia. I was wide awake and felt this blog needed a little attention. Please forgive odd trains of thought, poor sentence structure, and just a general, all-around lack of editing.]

It's happened. I've been travelling among the food universe for two months now, and I've succumbed to the biggest cliche of them all - that all foodies are innately drawn towards France. I'm a true-blooded American and love, love, love this country, but yes, I have become enraptured by the world of French cooking and culture. Am I now an official foodie? Have I earned my membership card?

My entry into this culinary web-world back in June 2010 was based on a moment of sudden inspiration - the realization that cooking is medicine for my soul plus the possibility of turning that into an art which could be shared with others. Although my style - and blog - are still in development, I have been around long enough to understand why France becomes such an obsession for those who enjoy food. No country is without its signature food style, but France has epitomized romanticism in food, emphasizing that what you taste is only a portion of the experience. For the French, and really any food lover, food is a form of expression. Every one of us out here - bloggers or readers of blogs - sees that food is more than sustenance, that what starts out as a assortment of ingredients becomes something more by your hands. Each creation shares a bit of the maker with those who enjoy it. So, I get this cult fascination with French food - it's all so elegant, attractive, seemingly-gourmet, and delicious. The design element is just as important as the flavor.

I do want experience this country first-hand and hopefully that can be something I do after school. Since I'm currently on break from school and have been trying to find several new things to do, I've added learning French to that list. I've got my Rosetta Stone, and a few lessons under my wings - yes, I can now identify a dog, a horse, and a car in French (among a few other things). When the opportunity to visit France presents itself, I'll be ready. Who knows, maybe I'll be one of those people who plans to visit for a week or two but ends up staying several months just to soak it all up. So many of you probably already have - and gone back for more, but to this 26-year-old it is something to look forward to. A year left of school, a planned move to the West coast, and then it all begins.

0 comments:

Post a Comment